Its a rainy Wednesday evening, and I'm over here watching YouTube videos and procrastinating on doing productive things. Then three YouTubers I was watching started singing, "Blank Space" by Taylor Swift. I enjoy that song, her version even, but I always turn on one cover in particular of that song because I LOVE IT.
This thought left the iPrevail cover of "Blank Space" in my head for about the thousandth time since I was introduced to it earlier this year, but it also left me thinking about all the great song covers out there.
Which lead me to what I'm doing now, which is writing what looks like complete nonsense on a computer screen. I'm guessing, if you're actually reading this, that you like song covers too. I hope you do, because I want to talk about song covers! Have you ever heard a cover of a song and you got where you listened to it so often that the original doesn't even sound right to you anymore?
Maybe so, maybe not, but I've done that. I've even had a few songs come up where I had no idea they even were covers for a while. Like everyone knows Bowling For Soup's "1985", or at least it feels like they do. I found out last year or the year before that its actually a cover. The original artist is SR-17. Same thing with the Baha Men's "Who Let The Dogs Out?" Its actually a cover of a song originally done by a man called Anslem Douglas. Very few of us knew that though because the cover got more popular.
Which happens, but then the original feels more like a cover, because you heard the cover first. The same thing happens when you hear a cover more often than the original. I feel like I'm rambling, so I'm just going to cut to the chase and shut up. I wanted to make a list of covers that I absolutely love, and would love it if you guys would let me know what some of your favorite covers are as well.
Enough stalling, let's do this!
1. Blank Space -iPrevail (Since I just mentioned this, you had to know it was going to be listed)
2. Since U Been Gone -A Day To Remember (I so rarely hear Kelly Clarkson's version anymore, and its gotten to the point that her's is just weird to me now.)
3. First Time In Forever -Stellar Kart (Originally from Frozen. I love the song anyways, but Stellar Kart went and did it all pop rock-y and its just wonderful.)
4. Sound Of Silence -Disturbed (I don't even think I need to give details on this one, its that popular and its beautiful. Simon and Garfunkel must be proud.)
5. Royals- Youth in Revolt (I have yet to actually listen to their usual music, but I think they did a great job covering Lorde's song Royals. I never hated her version even but I think their version is great.)
6. Hot N Cold -Woe, Is Me (This cover is so old, I know, but its great. I just love how they did it, its really fun. Especially their little add ons here and there. I just love it so much.)
7. Fuck You -Sleeping With Sirens (I never got into Cee-Lo Green's version much, but I really like the Sleeping With Sirens cover. Its actually one of the few songs done by SWS I find myself turning on often. I'm more of a Pierce The Veil girl.)
8. She Looks So Perfect -Patty Walters (I actually heard his version of the song a long time before I heard 5SOS and he's actually the reason I gave them a shot. He did the song a lot of justice, as he does with a lot of songs and I just wanted to bring some light to that. Patty has a lot of great covers -and some remixes on his YouTube channel.)
9. Sugar, We're Going Down -You Me At Six (I have absolutely no idea when You Me At Six did this cover but I found it at least two years ago. I found it randomly on YouTube and really like it. They stuck pretty close to the original Fall Out Boy sound, but having Josh's voice instead of Patrick's is kinda cool. Plus I don't think a ton of people know it exists and more people should.)
10. When You Look Me In The Eyes -For The Weekend (Come to find out this band changed their name to Hey Bombshell in 2012 and it appears they've been inactive since 2013, but I found this cover probably right around the time they changed their name. It is an acoustic over of the Jonas Brothers song, and honestly, say what you will but its a beautiful song. I've always been a big Jonas Brothers fan, so for someone to do justice to one of their songs, its quite impressive.)
I could go on, but for now, I think I'm just going to leave it there. Feel free to give these songs a listen and please do tell me some of your favorite covers as well! Covers are just fun, and hey, you could end up discovering a band you hadn't ever heard of before. That's actually how I discovered ADTR. I found their Since U Been Gone cover, and that lead me to the rest of their music. They're now one of my favorite bands, so you really never know.
Blogs of various topics go here, and all are written by Immortal Music's creator. You never know what you may find here, so have a look around.