1. Your website says you were greatly inspired by artists including Avril Lavigne, Michelle Branch and Kelly Clarkson, but are there any others that have inspired your music?
Some of the songs I have written were influenced by some rock and punk bands that I listen to, which include but are not limited to the Foo Fighters, Paramore, the Goo Goo Dolls, Lifehouse, A Day To Remember and Jimmy Eat World. The EP I just released is mostly on the pop side so you don't hear those influences too much, but you'll hear a lot more of them on my next one.
2. Name something on your iPod that nobody would expect you to listen to?
As much as I love rock music, there is quite a bit of pop on my iPod from my childhood that I haven't deleted. There's some Beyonce, David Archuleta, JoJo, Aly and AJ, and some other things like that haha.
3. Who would be on the lineup for your dream tour? (For you to play with.)
I would love to play pretty much with any and all of my influences that I've listed (especially Avril Lavigne and the Foo Fighters) but I'd also love to play with any of the smaller bands that I listen to, such as Courage My Love or Tonight Alive. There's a lot of talent out there that not everyone knows about.
4. Have you ever had any crazy concert experiences? (If so, are there any stories you'd be willing to share?)
I wouldn't say crazy, but I have had some unique experiences. I go to school at Penn State and there I'm involved in the Songwriters' Club, and we play a lot of shows together. A lot of the shows that we've done as a result have a lot of musicians in the audience so for example, when someone would cover a song that everyone knows, they wouldn't just sing along but they would break out into four-part harmonies. That kind of experience is something that I've only had with the club.
5. Where's the number one place you would like to play a show in/ at?
I don't really have a number one place I want to play, but I do want to play at as many places as possible and I really want to travel. For me, playing music is more about the show itself and connecting with the audience than it is about the venue or the place.
6. Is there any kind of ritual you do before you get on stage?
Before I get on stage you'd be able to catch me making a lot of weird noises to warm up my voice. I do lip trills, loud sighing sounds, and pretty much any and all noises I can think of. Haha. It seems to work for me so that's what I do!
7. What was the writing and recording process like for you when it came to your EP?
The writing and recording process for my EP was extremely sporadic. I didn't write any of these songs with the intention of putting them on the EP, I kind of just wrote them when my life inspired them, and when it came time to record something I just picked the song and went with it. Then I eventually decided to put together an EP of the songs I've recorded.
8. How would you explain your music to those who have never heard you before?
My music is very raw and real. It's kind of weird because it's pop music, but think of it this way; I'm pretty much a singer/songwriter who writes music based on her life that happens to be in the pop genre. In addition, it's all band-based, so that adds the raw rock feel to it.
9. As an up and coming artist yourself, what sort of advice could you offer to other artists in the same position?
Advice that I would give another up and coming artist is that you need to give your all to every facet of what you do. That includes not only practicing and making killer music, but you also need to promote as much as you possibly can because if you don't, no one is going to hear what you've created. Also, you need to take yourself seriously because if you don't, no one else is going to.
10. Is there anything you'd like to add?
One thing: Always remember to support independent music by going to shows and buying music. Thanks so much for taking the time to interview me!
Thank you so much, Kelly for doing this interview with me! If anyone would like to check her or her music out, you can do so on her official website, YouTube, Facebook, and Reverbnation!