Highly Suspect is a progressive rock band that hails from Cape Cod, and they sat down to an interview with us after we were sent their latest single, "Lost." They had plenty to say, so we will let them speak for themselves now.
1. Hello there! How are you guys doing today?
Wonderful thank you.
2. Can you tell a little bit about yourselves and your music for those who are just discovering you? Like how you came up with your name, who inspires you, ect?
We're a three piece rock and roll band out of Brooklyn, New York. Rich (bass) and Ryan (drums) are twin brothers. My name is Johnny (guitar,vox) and I went to high school with them. We've been friends since 2004, but the band didn't start until 2009. We had a house together on Cape Cod and we would just jam in the basement for fun. One day it just kinda made sense to try and get some free beers at the local clubs in exchange for playing cover songs. That kind of grew into something bigger. After a few years of playing 5 nights a week, we just decided why not take a shot at chasing the dream? So we kinda did the typical 'move to New York' with nothing but our backpacks and some hope. Our song writing developed from so much cultural inspiration and I guess people started noticing. Kind of crazy to look back on the journey. We're still on it too, and everyday now things are getting crazier and crazier. As for the name, we knew we like the word "highly" because 6 years ago we were young and dumb. It was just sort of a way to throw in a weed reference. "suspect" from a computer band name generator and we thought it worked well, not because we see ourselves as such, but because you've gotta question life. Everything is "highly suspect". It's a weird world. Life is our biggest inspiration. Life and the world around us.
3. You're going to be releasing what appears to be your first full length album in July, what track are you most excited for people to hear? (And is it actually your first album, or is it just the only one on iTunes?)
That's right. Mister Asylum comes out July 14 of this year on all major online retailers as well as CD and Vinyl. We made an album in 2011 by ourselves and we were kind of our own distribution. Then we had a couple E.P.'s up on iTunes, again though it was super DIY. A debut album is one that marks a bands first album as a signed act. Mister Asylum is that. Our first record that actually has people behind it and will be distributed globally by 300ent, a division of Atlantic.
4. We heard you played SXSW this year, how did that go for you?
It was incredible. We played 8 shows in 5 days. It was a real hustle lugging all the gear around since they have all the road closures. We love Texas though, its always a blast when we are in Austin. The BBQ is pretty much half the reason why we go.
5. Your Facebook description says your influences are all that is good, and your interests are all things bad, care to elaborate on that?
I think I wrote that when I was fucked up. I didn't know that it said that. Sounds pretty cool though (laughs).
6. Name something you listen to that nobody would expect you to listen to?
Actually that would be almost everything we listen to. Banks, St.Vincent, Action Bronson, Little Dragon. We are a rock band but we actually don't really listen to a lot of rock.
7. What would your dream concert lineup be? (Both to be part of, and just see as a fan.)
Highly Suspect, Slothrust, Whiskey Bitches, Angry Animals, QOTSA, Madonna (eighties Madonna), Charles Bradley, Boytoy, Tchaikovsky
8. Anything you would like to say before we wrap this up?
Glad you're wrapping it up. Always smart to use protection.
Be sure to check out Highly Suspect on Facebook, and pre-order their upcoming album, Mister Asylum on iTunes now.
These are interview that I myself have done. They have not been found anywhere, they have not been done for me. They are my work.